Eastern Arc Mentoring Scheme 2021/22 launched
14 July 2021
The second round of the Eastern Arc mentoring scheme has been launched today. Details of how to apply are given at the bottom of the page.
Experience of those taking part in the first round
There was an overwhelming response to the first round. 93 colleagues took part, and the response ot a recent survey of them demonstrated the value of the scheme and the benefit to them.
80 per cent said the scheme met their expectations. When asked what the most valuable aspect of the scheme was, responses included:
- ‘Shaking up set ways of thinking, whether that be ‘It doesn’t have to be done like this’ or ‘Thank God my institution doesn’t do things like that’: both are equally illuminating and helpful.’
- ‘Having support and guidance from someone who isn’t part of my uni. Being able to ask their opinion objectively.’
- ‘Peer support from a colleague with more experience and knowledge of working in the academy full time. You can gain from their wisdom and knowledge. It has enabled me to write a first draft of a paper for publication which has been something I’ve wanted to start for a long time’.
- ‘Finding someone who ‘gets’ me and having unconditional support from someone with lots of experience of what you have been through’.
- ‘Having a mentoring relationship with someone outside of your own institution. It forces you to listen to the issues rather than seeking to provide solutions based on your understanding the structures. It also allows a greater sense of honesty’.
In one case, a respondent described the experience as ‘life changing. It made me realise I do have a place in academia and that I am allowed to take up space, and find meaningful ways to work, I don’t just have to be grateful for whatever scraps my employers throw my way’.
If you would like to take part, please go to our dedicated page and fill in the simple form with some brief details. The deadline for applications is 31 October 2021.
Back to news